Wednesday, March 07, 2012

movie inspiration: bulldog drummond (1929)

I am so pleased that Netflix finally added the very first Bulldog Drummond movie. This one stars Ronald Coleman as Bulldog - he's great but Ray Milland in Bulldog Drummond Escapes (1937) is my favorite. This is actually the first talkie B.D. - there was another made in 1922. I've seen 5 of them now. They made 19, and there is one slated for 2013!!! No other info available on that one. Believe you'll hear about it when I know.



This one takes place all in one night, so there's only one costume to mention, but it is one of the best examples of draping I've seen. At first I was just into the jewelry and shoulder jazz she's got going on -



but then I got a look at the whole dress. It looks like it's got a separate skirt at the back, but if you watch her move throughout the film you'll see it's all of one piece.





And the silver shoes are lovely too -

3 comments:

dirtbike said...

those shoes are very similar to alexander wang's mirror finished heels from whatever season past that was. i like reading your movie inspiration posts because i usually don't have the patience to watch all these movies!

Sunshine said...

I just saw a set of shoes by a newish designer that are almost identical to these, with the straight up tall tongues. Of course I can't find them now.
I try to post movies I'm sure no one watches so's you don't have to. I have a high tolerance for crappiness and boring in old films. Glad you appreciate my efforts!

Robert Michael Jensen said...

I own this movie on DVD. And very much indeed intend on watching it.